Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sebastião Salgado - Jenny





“Indian washing coffee in Columbia / Sebastião Salgado”


Sebastiao Salgado is a Brazilian photojournalist. Born in 1944 in a small town called Aimores, Salgado earned a masters degree and worked as an economist for the International Coffee Organization. During his travels for work he became interested in photography and eventually switched his career to focus solely on photography and spent his time doing documentary-type work. He focused on issues like poverty, oppression, and the effects of industrialization. The photograph above was taken as a part of his series on coffee as Salgado documented the beauty and simplicity of coffee culture as a form of public awareness.

Description:
1.    My first impression of this photo is the subject’s tranquil facial expression.
2.     This work is a portrait of not only just a poor worker in Columbia, but a representation of the entire coffee culture.
3.     The subject is a man washing coffee in Columbia.
4.     This photo has a lot of natural background textures. His textured hair almost blends into the trees in the background and the dirt on his clothes almost makes him a part of the nature as well.
5.     There is a lot of background space and natural lines in this photograph because it portrays not only just a man washing coffee, but emphasizes his connection to nature.

Analysis:
1.     The aspect of the photograph that stands out to me the most is the subject’s peaceful facial expression and how he almost blends in with nature.
2.     The photo is organized well with soft lines and large spaces.
3.     Proportionally, the subject is small compared to the background, which allows the subject to almost fade into the surroundings. The contrasts of black and white help tell the story of simplicity and hardship.

Interpretation:
1.     The photograph is about the natural and primitive process of coffee cultivation that is often forgotten.
2.     The message of this photograph is to be reminded of the origins of coffee – a product many of us consume every day – and be reminded of the labor and unfair compensation workers like the one in this photograph receive for producing something that we so mindlessly consume.
3.     Yes, this photograph’s purpose is to inform the viewer of the primitive stages of coffee cultivation.
4.     Looking at this photo makes me feel compassionate and appreciative of the work this subject does everyday. Although I know he isn’t compensated properly for his labor, the almost spiritual connection he seems to have with the nature around him is something I think many people could learn from.
5.     This photo doesn’t remind me of anything specific. It tells a unique story that often goes untold.

Evaluation:
1.     No, my impression stayed fairly consistent.
2.     I think it is a very successful and powerful photograph.
3.     Yes, it is unique in the way the subject seems to be interconnected with nature.
4.     I think I could reproduce the composition of this photograph, but the story and the emotion behind it would be hard to capture.
5.     Yes, the subject and design elements were fairly easy to understand.
6.     Yes, this photograph was very well planned and tells a powerful story.
7.     Yes, I would be happy to own a photograph like this one.
8.     Yes, I’ve learned to focus on not only the subject of the photograph, but the interaction the subject has with other elements in the photograph.
9.     Yes, this is a very inspiring photograph.

“Photography allowed me to see anything that I wished to see on this planet. Anything that hurts my heart, I want to see it and to photograph it. Anything that makes me happy, I want to see it and to photograph it. Anything that I think is beautiful enough to show, I show it. Photography became my life.”

- Sebastião Salgado

No comments:

Post a Comment