Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Claire Raddatz - Photographer Steve McCurry


Description

http://www.beetlesandhuxley.com/sites/default/files/stock-images/MOTHER-AND-CHILD-AT-CAR-WINDOW-BOMBAY-INDIA-1993-1-c04903C.jpg

Steve McCurry is an American photographer who has become very famous with his portraits and photojournalism in times of conflict. He has worked in 6 continents and covers the human side of war and conflict in less covered regions. He tries to focus on the human faces and emotions. He tries to portray the things that tie all humans together, showing those in the 3rd world and how they are not as different from us as we think. He has won many awards for his powerful photography.  The picture I have selected is called A mother and child ask for alms through a taxi window during the monsoon, 1993. It was taken while McCurry was working in India.

1.     My first impression when viewing this photo was that it was not what I expected to see from the title. Usually beggars tend to be desperate and unkempt. The mother and her son both look extremely graceful and beautiful in this photo, making it a very interesting shot.
2.     To me, the work looks like a painting. It is still and graceful, and the blurriness on the window makes the edges looks fuzzy like a painting. The colors that blend together are also very beautiful and create a dreamy feel.
3.     The subject of the photo is the mother and son duo, but the attention is brought to the eyes of the little boy. The mother is the one asking for alms, whereas the boy’s whiteness in his eyes and curious, child-like expression penetrates through the blurry window.
4.     The texture is soft and blurry from the rain, contrasted by a shiny dark leather from the taxi’s interior. The mother is wearing a bright pink wrap which stands out against the dark moody colors of the shot. There is gray in the background, their skin is brown and the boy is wearing grey. Their body language is soft and graceful.
5.     There are vertical lines from the window and the bodies, as well as the mother’s arm. Two parallel horizontal lines are formed from the top and bottom of the windows. The two subjects are framed by the taxi window.

Analysis

1.     What stands out in this photo are the eyes of the subject and their body language. They are beggars, but they look graceful in doing so. The little boy’s curious expression matched with the mother’s peaceful face show a scene that is familiar but not in this context. The bright pink in her wrap also stands out.
2.     The photo is organized with a series of lines that frame the subjects beautifully in the shot. They are looking into the window, and the shot makes it feel like you are in the taxi and they are looking in inquiring about you.
3.     There is good contrast from the light gray background and the dark skin and brightly colored clothing in the foreground. Her outreached arm balances with the lines of the taxi.

Interpretation
1.     I think this photo is about grace and beauty in the worst conditions. The mother and child are desperate by coming up to the taxi to ask for money, but their expressions show hope and dignity.
2.     I think Steve McCurry wants to show us that beggars are people and mothers and children too, just like us. They are curious and strong and beautiful and graceful no matter what their condition.
3.     The purpose of this photo brings light and awareness to poverty. It makes you want to help the two, and makes it obvious that they have come to an extreme point of desperation.
4.     This photo makes me feel sadness but also surprise. I am sad because these two probably get ignored 90 percent of the time, but they are beautiful and I wish I could help them. I am also surprised how strong and gentle they look.
5.     It reminds me of driving through impoverished areas and feeling hopeless for the people that live there and feeling guilty about having the life that I do.

Evaluation

1.     My first impression changed a little bit when I realized how desperate the two must have been to come up to a car to ask for money, it makes them seem less gentle than they look in the photo.
2.     I think this is a very successful photo because it brings poverty in India to light in a relatable and human way.
3.     Its unique because its from the interior of a taxi, signifying privilege, looking out at the wall separating him from the poverty, rather than being right there with them.
4.     I don’t know if I would have thought to photograph this moment, I would probably be thinking about what to do or say to the mother and son.
5.     I think I immediately understood the subject but the framing and perspective gave the photo another dimension that made me think more.
6.     Yes, for the circumstances. You can tell it was a spontaneous moment, he wasn’t looking for the shot, and he captured that moment beautifully.
7.     I would buy it because I think its beautiful but I don’t think I would hang it because it is not the happiest picture.
8.     Yes, I like the through the window perspective on this type of subject.
9.     Yes. Both for wanting to help the poverty and to bring light to problems like this in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment